News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

What a Joke!

Started by GoldenHawksFootball, November 18, 2014, 04:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ETKilla

Quote from: Denver Viking on November 20, 2014, 09:15:22 AM
I think making every conference play 9 conference games is more important than a championship game. I know some people believe the Big-12 is behind here, but every team in the conference plays every other team in the conference.

It's easier to go undefeated in the SEC with 8 conference games and a championship game than to do the same in the Pac-12 where you play 9 conference games and a championship (not to mention playing those games in altitude, desert and Pacific Northwest climates, let alone having way more travel within the conference).

Huh?  How exactly is it easier to go undefeated in the SEC?  I think every team in the PAC 12 would have at least 3 loses if they played Alabama or Auburns schedule. 
Mike Jones.  Who?  Mike Jones.  281-330-8004

Denver Viking

Quote from: ETKilla on November 20, 2014, 09:30:08 AM
Huh?  How exactly is it easier to go undefeated in the SEC?  I think every team in the PAC 12 would have at least 3 loses if they played Alabama or Auburns schedule. 

The teams are very comparable and the conditions are more difficult. Just as I explained above.
Go Kingsburg
Go Army, Beat Navy!
"I want an officer for a secret and dangerous mission. I want a West Point football player."  -- General George C. Marshall Chief of Staff, US Army, World War II

CWClassof2007

SEC schools have the easiest non conference schedules out of all the power 5 conferences.

flexmac3

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on November 20, 2014, 02:44:07 PM
SEC schools have the easiest non conference schedules out of all the power 5 conferences.
Yep, look up this week Sec matchups. Looks like the first week of the season, lol.

Eastern Kentucky @ Florida   
South Alabama @ South Carolina      
Charleston Southern @ #10 Georgia
#8 Ole Miss @ Arkansas   
Western Carolina @ #1 Alabama   
Samford @ #14 Auburn      
#20 Missouri @ Tennessee   
Vanderbilt @ #4 Mississippi State   

ETKilla

Quote from: Denver Viking on November 20, 2014, 01:25:56 PM
The teams are very comparable and the conditions are more difficult. Just as I explained above.

Explain how their comparable?   The SEC had 3 teams in the top 5 a couple weeks ago.  6 or 7 in the too 25.  Very far from camparable.  I agree the 2-3 games they play out of conference are not quality, but every other game they play in conference is. 

Denver Viking

Quote from: ETKilla on November 20, 2014, 06:41:34 PM
Explain how their comparable?   The SEC had 3 teams in the top 5 a couple weeks ago.  6 or 7 in the too 25.  Very far from camparable.  I agree the 2-3 games they play out of conference are not quality, but every other game they play in conference is. 
Each conference currently has 6 teams ranked in the top-25. Each has 2 teams with legitimate shots to make the playoff (Alabama & Miss State in SEC and Oregon and UCLA in the Pac-12).

How is Mississippi ranked in the top-10 after losing to a team that hadn't won a conference game in 3 years? Bias. How many conference games did Arkansas lose in a row prior to beating Mississippi? 16? 17? That team isn't the same without their injured players. Those players won't be back this year. They are not a very good team right now. They are probably equivalent to Arizona State down to the pathetic loss last weekend.

Georgia is #10? After losing to Florida and S. Carolina? More bias. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose to Georgia Tech.

So yes, the teams are comparable. The difficulty increases in the Pac-12 due to having to play 9 conference games and playing those games over a geographic footprint much larger and more diverse than the SEC footprint. From the desert in Arizona to the altitude of Utah and Colorado to the Pacific Northwest, Pac-12 teams have more difficult conditions.
Go Kingsburg
Go Army, Beat Navy!
"I want an officer for a secret and dangerous mission. I want a West Point football player."  -- General George C. Marshall Chief of Staff, US Army, World War II

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: ETKilla on November 20, 2014, 08:51:00 AM
I would strongly disagree with this due to the fact the SEC is MUCH stronger of a conference than any other by FAR.  This is just my opinion, but LSU and Alabama I believe have both not played in the conference championship in recent years and went on to win the championship.  In this theory you might be leaving out the best teams. 

So the answer is to stack the field for certain conferences?  All that would seem to do is create a monopoly for two or three divisions... kind of makes "national championship" an oxymoron since no one but the select conferences are given a shot.  So they get all the premier recruits and the other conferences get left with whoever they don't take... easy to win when the deck is stacked for you.

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: Denver Viking on November 20, 2014, 07:52:52 PM
Each conference currently has 6 teams ranked in the top-25. Each has 2 teams with legitimate shots to make the playoff (Alabama & Miss State in SEC and Oregon and UCLA in the Pac-12).

How is Mississippi ranked in the top-10 after losing to a team that hadn't won a conference game in 3 years? Bias. How many conference games did Arkansas lose in a row prior to beating Mississippi? 16? 17? That team isn't the same without their injured players. Those players won't be back this year. They are not a very good team right now. They are probably equivalent to Arizona State down to the pathetic loss last weekend.

Georgia is #10? After losing to Florida and S. Carolina? More bias. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose to Georgia Tech.

So yes, the teams are comparable. The difficulty increases in the Pac-12 due to having to play 9 conference games and playing those games over a geographic footprint much larger and more diverse than the SEC footprint. From the desert in Arizona to the altitude of Utah and Colorado to the Pacific Northwest, Pac-12 teams have more difficult conditions.

Bias is spot on... stacked deck may be more like it.... let the 10 conference champs duke it out... at least that way the winner can truly say they are the national champs....

ETKilla

Ok let me break it down for you guys.  As of today SEC has 4 teams top 10.  Pac 12 has 2. 

2014-2015 Strength of schedule Power Rankings Top 10
1.    Auburn
2.   Alabama
3.   Miss St
4.   LSU
5.   Arkansas
9. Mississippi
10. Tennessee
16. UCLA
20. Oregon

Alabama 7-1 Vs top 30
Miss 3-2 vs top 30
Georgia 5-1
Auburn 4-3
Oregon 3-0
UCLA 1-2

SEC VS PAC 12 all time.  111-76-10

Not sure how you can even compare the two or even make the argument that is easier to go undefeated in the SEC.  UCLA would probably have 4 loses. 

ETKilla

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on November 20, 2014, 10:04:36 PM
So the answer is to stack the field for certain conferences?  All that would seem to do is create a monopoly for two or three divisions... kind of makes "national championship" an oxymoron since no one but the select conferences are given a shot.  So they get all the premier recruits and the other conferences get left with whoever they don't take... easy to win when the deck is stacked for you.

How did FSU win the National Championship last year?  When was the last time a PAC 12 team did?  2003??  Since the BCS was implemented SEC school has gone to the national championship game 11 times.  PAC 12 3.  SEC won 9 times.  PAC 12 1.  And it vacated -USC. 

flexmac3

Quote from: ETKilla on November 21, 2014, 07:54:37 AM
Ok let me break it down for you guys.  As of today SEC has 4 teams top 10.  Pac 12 has 2. 

2014-2015 Strength of schedule Power Rankings Top 10
1.    Auburn
2.   Alabama
3.   Miss St
4.   LSU
5.   Arkansas
9. Mississippi
10. Tennessee
16. UCLA
20. Oregon

Alabama 7-1 Vs top 30
Miss 3-2 vs top 30
Georgia 5-1
Auburn 4-3
Oregon 3-0
UCLA 1-2

SEC VS PAC 12 all time.  111-76-10

Not sure how you can even compare the two or even make the argument that is easier to go undefeated in the SEC.  UCLA would probably have 4 loses. 

I see where you are going ET, but Im sorry the whole SEC non conference games are horrible, thats why people criticize the SEC.
How many SEC schools come out to the West, or go up North? It very rarely happens.
LOL, I bet the whole SEC went undefeated with those lousy non conference games :)-
Thats why people hate on the SEC.
Since the NCAA has giving all the power to Five conferences, the other five mid major conferences are screwed.
IMO, if the SEC were force to schedule non conference games against only the power 5 conferences, you could get a better gauge on SEC football.

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: ETKilla on November 21, 2014, 08:00:43 AM
How did FSU win the National Championship last year?  When was the last time a PAC 12 team did?  2003??  Since the BCS was implemented SEC school has gone to the national championship game 11 times.  PAC 12 3.  SEC won 9 times.  PAC 12 1.  And it vacated -USC. 

When the system is screwed towards the SEC what result would you expect, that they don't have a lot more showings than the other conferences?  "Strength of Schedule" is subjective and the BCS used that to push some divisions over others, primarily for monetary reasons....smart from a business perspective but let's at least call it what it was....the SEC in particular was consistently given the edge in that benchmark.  Don't get me wrong, the SEC is a fine conference but  find it hilarious that anytime anyone suggests they compete on a level playing field up come the brick walls.....

ETKilla

Quote from: flexmac3 on November 21, 2014, 02:47:01 PM
I see where you are going ET, but Im sorry the whole SEC non conference games are horrible, thats why people criticize the SEC.
How many SEC schools come out to the West, or go up North? It very rarely happens.
LOL, I bet the whole SEC went undefeated with those lousy non conference games :)-
Thats why people hate on the SEC.
Since the NCAA has giving all the power to Five conferences, the other five mid major conferences are screwed.
IMO, if the SEC were force to schedule non conference games against only the power 5 conferences, you could get a better gauge on SEC football.

I'm am not arguing that the out of conference schedule is weak, but why play a tough one if you have 6-7 games against top 30 teams already.  SEC is rough on a team, I think it's pretty smart to have a couple games you can rest your guys if you need. 

CWClassof2007

Is thee sec really as great as everyone says they are? Or were they helped out by a flawed system?

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on November 21, 2014, 10:29:29 PM
Is thee sec really as great as everyone says they are? Or were they helped out by a flawed system?

Oh they are good, can't take that away from them, but they were also helped by a skewed system.....

GoldenHawksFootball

QuoteI'm am not arguing that the out of conference schedule is weak, but why play a tough one if you have 6-7 games against top 30 teams already.  SEC is rough on a team, I think it's pretty smart to have a couple games you can rest your guys if you need.

The SEC is helped out by a very flawed system. And not much has changed in this plus one format. Only thing that changed is more than likely we'll get 2 SEC teams and 2 from every other conference. You say why schedule a pansy, when you have 6-7 really tough games? Come on man you really gonna say Mississippi and Mississippi State are really tough every year? This is the 1st year that either school has been relevant for a long long time. The other thing I'd like to point out is the SEC specifically schedules 2 pansies late in the season.. Oregon might schedule 1 pansy at the beginning of the season but not 2 late in the season. Do you not see this as a huge discrepancy? SEC won't ever be penalized or bumped down because of this. If Pac 12 does this late in the season, the argument is then strength of schedule. That is NEVER the case with the SEC even with 3-4 pansy a**e*. These are essentially like having byes. 1 or 2 byes late in the season is better than not having any byes like the Pac 12. So not only does it not penalize the SEC but it also helps them heal theirwounds and rest up for the up coming SEC Championship game so they can look really tough and fight hard for a 3 point win. Well of course it must be because that other team is so great! Could it be that both just really well rested and over rated at the same time? We'll never know for sure. But these kinds of discrepancies are very obvious and can't be over looked.

ETKilla

Weird how the keep winning national championships.  Next thing your going to day is the refs help them win because their biased too. 

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: ETKilla on November 22, 2014, 06:24:43 AM
Weird how the keep winning national championships.  Next thing your going to day is the refs help them win because their biased too. 

When you are slipped three of the four aces every hand when playing poker would it be surprising that you keep winning? 

Denver Viking

Quote from: ETKilla on November 22, 2014, 06:24:43 AM

Not that weird when you realize its easier to go undefeated there than in comparable conferences such as the Pac-12.
Go Kingsburg
Go Army, Beat Navy!

ETKilla

Quote from: Denver Viking on November 22, 2014, 09:26:42 AM
Not that weird when you realize its easier to go undefeated there than in comparable conferences such as the Pac-12.

This makes ZERO sense.  Look at the schedules and think about what you're saying.  The PAC 12 top teams play weeker schedules than the SEC.   The proof was already shown to you.  Oregon has played 3 teams in the top 30 this year.  They still have a loss.  The SEC is brutal.  Every team in the PAC 12 would have minimum 2 losses if they played in the SEC. 

ETKilla