News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Water?

Started by CoachMo, April 28, 2023, 09:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachMo

Out of Curiosity, is it a common practice to not provide water to the opposing team? It had been my practice and observation that hosts treat their opponents as guests in their home. Every team I've coached for have always provided cold water for our opponents.

On Tuesday, a player from our opponent, Redwood HS, experienced a heat-related emergency.  If there wasn't water readily available, this young man could have suffered a dire injury. Water isn't strictly for drinking.

Yesterday we traveled to Monache HS. It was a doubleheader on the hottest day of the year, so far.  Our hosts didn't provide water for us. I'd never had this happen in over 20 years of coaching HS baseball. While there was a drinking fountain in the dugout, it was broken. When we brought this to the attention of our opponents, we were brushed off.  Thankfully, we have GREAT parents at El D who took care of the issue.

My question/concern is, is not providing water to your opponents common? Or am I being overly sensitive?

BallGuy

Quote from: CoachMo on April 28, 2023, 09:46:50 AM
Out of Curiosity, is it a common practice to not provide water to the opposing team? It had been my practice and observation that hosts treat their opponents as guests in their home. Every team I've coached for have always provided cold water for our opponents.

On Tuesday, a player from our opponent, Redwood HS, experienced a heat-related emergency.  If there wasn't water readily available, this young man could have suffered a dire injury. Water isn't strictly for drinking.

Yesterday we traveled to Monache HS. It was a doubleheader on the hottest day of the year, so far.  Our hosts didn't provide water for us. I'd never had this happen in over 20 years of coaching HS baseball. While there was a drinking fountain in the dugout, it was broken. When we brought this to the attention of our opponents, we were brushed off.  Thankfully, we have GREAT parents at El D who took care of the issue.

My question/concern is, is not providing water to your opponents common? Or am I being overly sensitive?

Never even thought this would be a question. It's about taking pride in your program.

As an aside, we had a similar situation at the school I coached where the fountain inside the dugout was broken, but as soon as we found out we provided ice water to the other team. Thought this was a no brainer.

Hazbeen003

I am currently an Athletic Trainer here in the Valley.  This should never happen, EVER.  I do realize things happen and things come up but there is no excuse not to provide fresh drinking water for your opponents.  On warm days there should be ice towels and plenty of shade as well.  Some schools overlook at being a great host and don't  take pride in what they do.  I always hope our opponents and fans go home with a good experience and make it a pleasure when they return.  I'm sorry  this is still happening today......

CleverUserName

One season, we played a team who had given us water without ice.  100 degree temps.  That was a fun one.

Governor

Quote from: CleverUserName on May 03, 2023, 09:30:25 AM
One season, we played a team who had given us water without ice.  100 degree temps.  That was a fun one.

Terrible.

CleverUserName

Quote from: Governor on May 03, 2023, 03:41:26 PM
Terrible.

Fortunately we had a parent go fetch us some ICE!  First couple of innings were rough.

kendahas

Having coached a variety of high school sports for over 37yrs, the home team should provide water in all sports. During Covid was the only exception. 

kendahas