News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Bakersfield Jobs

Started by Word2thewise, February 05, 2014, 06:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Word2thewise

Who are the candidates for these jobs?

Stockdale-

Garces-

East-

Highland-

Mira Monte-

falsestart

Quote from: Word2thewise on February 05, 2014, 06:06:00 PM
Who are the candidates for these jobs?

Stockdale- CARR family plus Mahanke, Darren I believe has his credential now.  This hire makes sense.  A lot of experience playing/coaching offense and the ability to bring in/keep players with the name and reputation makes sense.  And should appease the parents.

Garces- Antongiovanni makes sense here.  True Garces guy, has a lot of experience including BC.  But could also see them return to Fanucci with new admin.  Here's a name to toss in also...Mike Lewis?  Been an assistant and OC/DC at Frontier and West and a Garces product who had great success as a player.

East- who knows?  no one wants this job because admin doesn't get it and they are losing a lot of athletes to garces and others.  Probably someone trying to get their foot in the door as a head coach.

Highland- you thought East was bad!  We all heard how they treated Montanio!!!  Good luck to whoever they hire.  Art Gonzalez is only guy on campus that has good experience but they passed him up last time.

Mira Monte- If you thought east and highland were bad!!! This is BY FAR the worst job in the KHSD.  No support, got rid of all weightlifting classes.  Can't keep good teachers let alone coaches there because no one wants to work for that principal. 

TeddyKGB

I like Darren, but I don't believe that he is ready to be a head coach at stockdale. I can see this situation being very similar to the Independence deal where a BHS assistant goes and finds that the athletes and (at Stockdale) football is not held in the same regard as at Bakersfield High. I do believe that Darren would make a fine head coach but he needs to cut his teeth at a smaller program like Highland or east.

flexmac3

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 06, 2014, 03:08:33 PM
I like Darren, but I don't believe that he is ready to be a head coach at stockdale. I can see this situation being very similar to the Independence deal where a BHS assistant goes and finds that the athletes and (at Stockdale) football is not held in the same regard as at Bakersfield High. I do believe that Darren would make a fine head coach but he needs to cut his teeth at a smaller program like Highland or east.
I agree with this post, however, I do think Coach Carr has very good resources, like Coach Golla to guide him.
Which could speed up that process to coach at a school like Stockdale.

Van Smack

Quote from: flexmac3 on February 06, 2014, 04:00:16 PM
I agree with this post, however, I do think Coach Carr has very good resources, like Coach Golla to guide him.
Which could speed up that process to coach at a school like Stockdale.

Coach Golla ain't gonna help him Clone, they are in the same league. They would be instant enemies!
Have a take, and make sure it doesn't suck!

CoachJackieS

Heard the following just in the last few days:

Regarding Mira Monte - Not a large pool of applicants,  more than likely going to the Foothill JV Coach from this past season.

Regarding Highland - Probably going to an on staff coach there, was told they were seriously looking at North Valley Coach, but he withdrew yesterday, now probably stay within the school.

Regarding East - I've heard the Wasco Coach & the EB JV Coach from this past season.

Van Smack

Hey Clones...here's my take on these Bakersfield jobs...

Stockdale- while I believe there are many who get quite excited by the prospect of the Carr's (Darren) coming in and taking the program over, and it would be an interesting hire to say the least, but I am not sure this happens. The guy I think ends up being the head coach is former Liberty coach Chad Provensal. Chad has said that if the Stockdale job opened up it would "peak his interest". I think of all the available hires, Provensal would be the guy to take this to the next level. Another applicant is Ridgeview's Offense Coordinator Chris Bandy. Chris has great experience as Ridgeview has been as successful as any program around the past few years with a title in 2012, and 3 straight D3 finals appearances. Chris runs high powered offenses that are predicated on getting the athlete the ball in space. He would be an excellent hire.

Garces- rumors running wild about this one, especially from Garces "insiders/alumni" that this "has to be a TRUE Garces guy". Rumor is that John L Fanucchi is returning as head coach, or Tim Antongiovanni is a shoe in as the next head coach. The Antongiovanni rumor seems to have steam behind it. Another guy with his name in the hat is Frank Gonzales. If you remember when Maples was "placed on leave" in early August Gonzales was named "Interim" coach. Hiring him would ensure that the coaching staff that guided Garces to 3 straight D2 championships with a 2012 title would be in tact (minus Maples of course). Gonzales would seem to be a "seamless" transition that players, parents, and the alumni/insiders could get behind.

East- This job might be the least desirable of them all. The Principal brought in "his guy" only to fire him 2 years later. They are being placed in the "second tier" league, which they have little shot of winning given their current talent. Rumor was initially there were no applicants so they were reaching out to some coaches around town. Given the current state of this school, almost certainly this will be a young, first time hire coach with little name recognition. Whomever gets this job I sure wish them luck, and will be the first one to praise them if they can turn this one around because as it stands this one is awful.

Highland- this job has the most potential of all the "lower level" Bakersfield jobs. A name that I have heard being brought up for this job is Highland High legend Kevin Keyes. Kevin (who was the star RB on the last Highland team to beat BHS) is friends with several administrators at the school and would certainly get the backing previous coach didn't get. He would also bring a positive/nurturing/mentoring attitude that would energize the players. As long as he can surround himself with the right assistants I think he could turn Highland into a lower-level "gold mine".

Mira Monte- I am not sure the name of the guy, but from what I hear the Foothill JV coach wowed administration in his interview and is almost a shoe in. The good thing is coaching at Foothill he would seem to be familiar with the socio-economics of the population of the school.
Have a take, and make sure it doesn't suck!

GOALPOST

Garces: Tim Anton has been past on twice why would this time be any different. Coach Frank Gonzales would be a great hire from within.

TeddyKGB

I can't imagine "wowing" the admin at Mira Monte would be very difficult, I'd guess fogging up a mirror and any shinny object would do it.
Van you do know that Thorpe was not fire, he resigned. As for Highland being any kind of "gold mine" thats just funny.

PigIron

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 06, 2014, 05:50:16 PM
I can't imagine "wowing" the admin at Mira Monte would be very difficult, I'd guess fogging up a mirror and any shinny object would do it.
Van you do know that Thorpe was not fire, he resigned. As for Highland being any kind of "gold mine" thats just funny.

Hey Teddy wasn't Thorp given an ultimatum then he resigned? In our business that sounds pretty much like being fired.

taysdad

Quote from: Van Smack on February 06, 2014, 04:50:02 PM
Hey Clones...here's my take on these Bakersfield jobs...

Stockdale- while I believe there are many who get quite excited by the prospect of the Carr's (Darren) coming in and taking the program over, and it would be an interesting hire to say the least, but I am not sure this happens. The guy I think ends up being the head coach is former Liberty coach Chad Provensal. Chad has said that if the Stockdale job opened up it would "peak his interest". I think of all the available hires, Provensal would be the guy to take this to the next level. Another applicant is Ridgeview's Offense Coordinator Chris Bandy. Chris has great experience as Ridgeview has been as successful as any program around the past few years with a title in 2012, and 3 straight D3 finals appearances. Chris runs high powered offenses that are predicated on getting the athlete the ball in space. He would be an excellent hire.

provensal has been and is still trying to get a dean job. so unless he does it part time with teaching, it won't happen

CoachJackieS

I don't know Teddy all that well. But hes a d@mn funny guy! That foggy mirror thing at Mira Monte line was awesome! Here's the bottom line. Foothill & MM are one in the same. They probably don't have high expectations at MM if this is the route they're going. Mot saying tje Foothill JV Coach is a bad coach. Not saying he doesn't deserve an opportunity. But its apparent that its the same old moves being made within the east side schools. Im just curious whether or not there were any other applicants interviewed that had varsity coaching experience? And if there were,  did this JC Coach really out interview those guys? If he did, kudos to him. I guess we'll all see soon who the next man will be at MM.

At Highland, again just today I spoke to a friend who's a campus supervisor there who's really close to one of the VP'S. Says to me that Highland was very interested in a North Valley Coach. Wouldn't go farther than that. But that coach withdrew as of today, not yesterday as I previously posted in error. Now I'm hearing an on campus guy and another off campus coach are being considered.

At East? Well good luck there with whomever knows. That place is in a weird situation.

PigIron

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 06, 2014, 05:50:16 PM

Haha! Hey Teddy a guy that just showed up to the interview at Mira Monte would "wow" the admin. Heck filling out an app for that job just "wows" me!

pwrgame

Some of you are throwing names out there that are not even in the KHSD, which means if a credentialed teacher/coach wants any of these jobs over a non-KHSD coach they get per their contract.  Kevin Hayes not employed, Carr is a current sub at Highland but not officially hired as a KHSD employee.  Dave Fanucci has applied for the Stockdale job, East offered him the world to go there, and Highland's principal would not return his call, so I'm sure he is out.

Mira Monte:  Foothill JV coach is leading candidate, he did interview at Highland as well.

Highland:  Brett Clark, Joe Cooper, Ray Oregan, and Art Gonzalez all applied.  The rest were non-KHSD employees.  Gonzalez was passed over previously, but the admin will probably go with him. 

East: they are waiting on Fanucci and they are in no hurry.  If they wait until the end of the month then they wait.

Just remember Joey Porter applied for the job at Foothill and was passed over by someone that does work in the district, teacher contracts state they have the right to any head coaching job held by a walk-on or non-KHSD employee

DBLR12

Quote from: GOALPOST on February 06, 2014, 05:37:43 PM
Garces: Tim Anton has been past on twice why would this time be any different. Coach Frank Gonzales would be a great hire from within.

Frank would stabilize the cast of players who are rumored to jump ship and the talented cast they have coming up from that freshman team to at least give them a fighting chance next year in D1 :u:

TeddyKGB

pwergame, I'm curious what "offering the world" means at east? Maybe lay off the clichés. east is the taint of the KHSD what can they possibly offer other than a PE job. Does this JV coach (foothill) have varsity experience? What I mean is does he know what it takes to run a varsity team and essentially a football program, play calling and X's & O's are the least of the criteria needed to build a program. Who has he learned from? I can see why a guy from the North Valley would pass on a job with the KHSD especially highland.

Grizz51

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 07, 2014, 10:16:16 AM
pwergame, I'm curious what "offering the world" means at east? Maybe lay off the clichés. east is the taint of the KHSD what can they possibly offer other than a PE job. Does this JV coach (foothill) have varsity experience? What I mean is does he know what it takes to run a varsity team and essentially a football program, play calling and X's & O's are the least of the criteria needed to build a program. Who has he learned from? I can see why a guy from the North Valley would pass on a job with the KHSD especially highland.
Good point Teddy, most people haven't a clue as to what is actually needed to be a HC. Yes X's and O's are part of the equation, but certainly not everything.

BTW, help me out North Valley.... Where is that?
Remember, it's all about the kids......

TeddyKGB

I meant northern part of the Central Valley, so above Tulare.

PigIron

Quote from: DBLR12 on February 07, 2014, 09:55:24 AM
Frank would stabilize the cast of players who are rumored to jump ship and the talented cast they have coming up from that freshman team to at least give them a fighting chance next year in D1 :u:

Players rumored to be jumping ship? Wow, sounds interesting. Have any specifics?

CoachJackieS

Teddy,  a couple of answers to your questions: I've asked also and been told that for the MM job, the Foothill JV Coach is the guy, has no varsity experience. Pretty amazing that they went that route.

For HIS, I was able to find out the the north valley Cosch was a Fresno guy. Pulled  his name sometime yesterday. 

CoachJackieS