News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

2019 Head Coaching Vacancies

Started by Coach Gutierrez, November 05, 2018, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Gutierrez

Centennial (D1) - Richard Starret
Clovis North (D1) - Mike Jacot
Clovis West (D1) - Tim Randall
Ridgeview (D1) - Rich Cornford
Bakersfield (D1) - Michael Stewart
El Diamante (D2) - Chris Frankland
Pioneer Valley (D2)
Redwood (D2) - Kevin Scharton
Lemoore (D2) - Josh Kloster
Garces (D2) - Paul Golla
Dinuba (D2) - Carlos Barajas
Madera (D3) - Kenny Paolinelli
Morro Bay (D3)
Templeton (D3) - Don Crow
Golden Valley (D3) - James Cain
Mt. Whitney (D3) - Nathan Chamberlain
Delano (D4) - Joseph Thompson
Monache (D4) - Shane Focke
Reedley (D4) - Tony Gates
Dos Palos (D5) - Robbie Calvert
Immanuel (D5) - Andrew Halstead
McLane (D5) - Bonner Cunnings
Parlier (D6) - David Muro
Avenal (D6) - Charles Price
Orange Cove (D6)

Any others?

ironman45

CN did not finish with an interim...Coach Martinez stepped down after the playoff game

Coach Gutierrez

Clovis North (D1)
Clovis West (D1)
*El Diamante (D2)
Morro Bay (D3)
Templeton (D3)
Golden Valley (D4)

(*) Finished with a interim.

Any others?

TeddyKGB

this Golden Valley situation is very disturbing to me, it shows just how stupid the KHSD and its admins are. They hire a 24 yr old kid that by his own admission isn't ready to be a head coach yet felt he was ready as he applied: "It's a situation that needs to establish discipline and move forward. I didn't feel I was ready to do that." What kind of interview are these? Do they ask to identify a football then place a mirror under the candidates nose if it fogs up if he passes those he get the job? What this sounds like to me is a kid that thought it was much easier to be a head coach without a clue and an admin that hasn't the slightest idea how to identify a good candidate.

Forceuser

Quote from: TeddyKGB on November 14, 2018, 08:44:22 AM
this Golden Valley situation is very disturbing to me, it shows just how stupid the KHSD and its admins are. They hire a 24 yr old kid that by his own admission isn't ready to be a head coach yet felt he was ready as he applied: "It's a situation that needs to establish discipline and move forward. I didn't feel I was ready to do that." What kind of interview are these? Do they ask to identify a football then place a mirror under the candidates nose if it fogs up if he passes those he get the job? What this sounds like to me is a kid that thought it was much easier to be a head coach without a clue and an admin that hasn't the slightest idea how to identify a good candidate.

But Teddy, if you were or are a coach.  There was a time when we thought we had it all together to be a head coach.  A old football coach once told me, "there are good assistants, that are horrible head coaches.  But it takes them doing it and failing for them to realize it."  So for the ex-head coach to try, and ultimately figure out that he is not a head coach is ok.  The problem is when they have zero experience with anything that comes with being a head coach.  This goes to the people who hired him.  It's no different than when we were young and we applied for a job and the business told us, "you need more experience."  But I think they were looking for anyone, because no one applied.  Shoot it was the second hire for the job in 2 months.
"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

TeddyKGB

I have no issue with a person needing to start somewhere, but I would think that some of these should be criteria for a head varsity football coach:

1. head coach at either Freshman, JV or youth football for at least 2 or 3 years
2. Coordinator at the varsity level for at least 3 years- leads to being able to put together a scheme and game plans and all the pieces that go into that
3. Minimum of 7 years coaching experience, I don't give a flyin' cr@p what anyone says about age the head coach has to be mature enough to deal with the parents, admin, other coaches and the kids. I would be willing to by pass the 7 years if the candidate played 4 years of college ball and move the 7 down to 5.

bounty hunter

I think those are excellent guidelines when looking for a head coach, but what happens when you are at a school that has lost its best athletes (Sam Stewart and Carl Jones to name a few) had a coach resign before ever coaching a game, and had nobody with any real experience express interest?  I think the admin at GV were desperate, and took the first person with a teaching credential that applied.

Forceuser

Quote from: TeddyKGB on November 14, 2018, 10:35:05 AM
I have no issue with a person needing to start somewhere, but I would think that some of these should be criteria for a head varsity football coach:

1. head coach at either Freshman, JV or youth football for at least 2 or 3 years
2. Coordinator at the varsity level for at least 3 years- leads to being able to put together a scheme and game plans and all the pieces that go into that
3. Minimum of 7 years coaching experience, I don't give a flyin' cr@p what anyone says about age the head coach has to be mature enough to deal with the parents, admin, other coaches and the kids. I would be willing to by pass the 7 years if the candidate played 4 years of college ball and move the 7 down to 5.

Im with you.

But there should be a minimum put on Administrators too.  I know more admin that refuse to see the importance of sports in a high school.  It's more of a mentality of "dont cause headaches", than "Teach young people how to be good adults, and if you can win some games".
"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

Forceuser

Quote from: bounty hunter on November 14, 2018, 10:48:39 AM
I think those are excellent guidelines when looking for a head coach, but what happens when you are at a school that has lost its best athletes (Sam Stewart and Carl Jones to name a few) had a coach resign before ever coaching a game, and had nobody with any real experience express interest?  I think the admin at GV were desperate, and took the first person with a teaching credential that applied.

I refer to the end of my last post.  They should have never fired Smith.  I think sometimes admin thinks coaches are just a dime a dozen.  It's obviously not that way.
― Pope Paul VI

BuffaloBill

Anyone know how secure Hammond is over at Clovis High? Seems like every year there is some speculation with the guy.

Darth Backer

Quote from: Forceuser on November 14, 2018, 11:01:40 AM
I refer to the end of my last post.  They should have never fired Smith.  I think sometimes admin thinks coaches are just a dime a dozen.  It's obviously not that way.

Wow... Smith was let go? They had a committed guy that was in it for the long haul. He had some success there in what seems to be a tough situation.

It just goes to show that if you are in KHSD and not at BHS, Liberty or Centennial, you are on shaky ground.  You might be alright at Stockdale and Frontier but it seems like success is hard to come by there as well.

CWClassof2007

Quote from: BuffaloBill on November 14, 2018, 11:30:44 AM
Anyone know how secure Hammond is over at Clovis High? Seems like every year there is some speculation with the guy.
I keep on seeing stuff about him not coming back but nothing from anyone who would have credible information. I believe next years freshman didn't lose a game at Clark. This years freshman & sophomore classes were pretty good too.

TeddyKGB

bounty the loss of top athletes I don't believe should be a factor in finding a head coach candidate, no question it played a factor in the 0-10 season at GV. As for the coach resigning before coaching a game I have to place that blame on both the admin and the coach. The admin for not, AGAIN, performing a good interview to determine that this candidate was the best choice and the coach for applying for a job that either he had not done all his research to make sure it was a job he really wanted. Now if there was personal unforseen reasons why he had to resign that's a totally different story and I can't fault either party there.
As for no one showing interest in that job I would have to say that the KHSD should take a look at how a place has no one show interest.

Darth couple things at BHS Golla has the admins and more importantly the principal's support and that is huge, at Liberty Nixion has support from the admin most of the admin at Liberty were coaching at one time that goes a long way as well not to mention there is plenty of monetary support from the Liberty parents.

Coach Prosser

I can chime in and say that we have a GREAT admin at Stockdale!!  Having worked for a few different Admin, it makes a huge difference.

Forceuser

Quote from: Coach Prosser on November 14, 2018, 01:34:11 PM
I can chime in and say that we have a GREAT admin at Stockdale!!  Having worked for a few different Admin, it makes a huge difference.

Only coaches who have worked for admin that never gave more than what was least expected, understand this post. 
― Pope Paul VI

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Coach Prosser on November 14, 2018, 01:34:11 PM

obviously the admin has changed at Stockdale because last I heard Shelton was the only coach on campus in the entire football program.

Coach Prosser

Quote from: TeddyKGB on November 15, 2018, 09:21:54 AM
obviously the admin has changed at Stockdale because last I heard Shelton was the only coach on campus in the entire football program.

Yes it has changed, we are up to having 4 coaches plus Shelton in our program that are on campus!

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Coach Prosser on November 15, 2018, 09:36:12 AM
Yes it has changed, we are up to having 4 coaches plus Shelton in our program that are on campus!

that is good to hear, Shelton is a great guy I'm glad they are getting him some on campus guys.

All Star Kev

Quote from: BuffaloBill on November 14, 2018, 11:30:44 AM

Was wondering the same thing. Looks like he's going to have some studs coming through there for the next 3-4 years.
Corinthians 9:24-27

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever

All Star Kev

Corinthians 9:24-27

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever