News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Bakersfield Drillers vs Ridgeveiw

Started by TeddyKGB, September 28, 2015, 08:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeddyKGB

Lets get the debate started. This will be the biggest game of the year thus far here in Bakersfield, there is no question that Ridgeview wants to prove that they can beat a big time team.

Bakersfield Drillers 2-2
outscored opponents 113 (28.25 ppg ave.) to 86 (21.5 ppg ave.)
Opponents combined record 11-7

Ridgeview 4-0
outscored opponents 156 (39 ppg ave.) to 80 (20 ppg ave.)
Opponents combined record 7-11

I'm going with the Drillers, the Drillers match up well with Ridgeview they have just as good athletes, they have speed, and the biggest factor they are use to playing in big games against big time opponents. The Drillers play all 4 quarters and know how to keep playing even if they get behind on the score board. If Ridgeview thinks that they can get away with that park ball stuff they used to beat Liberty they will be in for a rude awakening, I suspect that if things start to go wrong for Ridgeview their true character will come out and they may pick a fight with the BHS cheerleaders again.

The Bakersfield High Drillers 45-42

TeddyKGB

Forceuser

looks like a great game.  I will be there to watch.  I have friends on both staffs so I am going to call this one a toss up.  The team who has the ball last wins.
"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

Forceuser

"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

TeddyKGB

TeddyKGB

quickness

I am going with Ridgeview.  I think the Ridgeview defense is the key in this game.  They are overlooked because of the offensive weapon they have, but the defense will make the big play as well.

quickness

Bronco

I'm going with the tradition which is the BHS Drillers - they know what it takes to win Big Games

Bronco

bksflddan

CalPreps sez ...

Ridgeview (Bakersfield, CA) at Bakersfield (CA), 7:30pm   [projection: Ridgeview (Bakersfield, CA) 31-28]

I say: 35~16 Drillers ...
"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

bksflddan

"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

TeddyKGB

quick, that Ridgeview Defense has never faced the kind of speed the Drillers have but I think the biggest factor will be the Ridgeview offense has not played a team with the kind of team speed the are going to face on Friday.

TeddyKGB

Forceuser

Quote from: TeddyKGB on September 28, 2015, 08:31:27 AM
Force get off the fence  :)-

But...Im doing a good job of balancing....

I will say this...if BHS can keep Ridgeview from big plays.  I think they win going away.  Ridgeview is a big play offense.  I think if a team makes them grind out hard earned points, they have a good chance of beating Ridgeview.

Both teams are so talented.  It will come down to coaching and execution.  Speed and athleticism is a wash.
― Pope Paul VI

Forceuser

― Pope Paul VI

TeddyKGB

Force I think you are right, and with BHS's speed they will be able to keep the RHS O from making those big plays. I think both teams are very well coach, but I have to go back  to what Bronco also mentioned: The Drillers are use to playing in big games and Ridgeview is not that is why they were beat by the Drillers last year and lost to Redlands 59-42, in both games their character showed and they started wanting to fight.

TeddyKGB

mw1

Ridgeview is very interesting because during the first two weeks, all I heard was White and Moya making big plays.  This last week, besides White, it was Darius Smith (fastest 100M time.. I think in the valley) and Prevost.  So, now you are looking at 4 big-play makers on that team... all with great speed.

BHS seems to be surviving on the big-play-making abilities of mainly one kid, Jakell Tomlin. 

If Ridgeview can bottle-up Tomlin on defense, and keep the ball away from him on special teams and passing plays, I think that the Drillers are going to have a tough time putting up big numbers.

Although it pains me to say this, and I really hope I am wrong... I think Ridgeview takes it 31-24.
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

mw1

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

TeddyKGB

mw, if BHS can not throw the ball better than they did early in the game against Salesian they will be in trouble. This week will be a battle.

TeddyKGB

mw1

I hate it when is am right.  Right now BHS is down 14-0 in 1st qtr.  Ridgeview is stacks with talent and speed... And BHS looks like GMHS right now.  Ridgeview... Enjoy it while it lasts.

mw1

Forceuser

Watching the game....I think Right now the momentum is slowly moving back to BHS....if they score here before half....it's Game on...
― Pope Paul VI

Forceuser

― Pope Paul VI

tracknut

Some do, Some don't, I might!

tracknut

Some do, Some don't, I might!

taysdad

taysdad

TeddyKGB

mw you are correct the Drillers looked slow and small compared to RHS. I've give credit where it is due, the Wolfpack beat the Drillers up on both side of the ball and in all 3 phases of the game. I don't think RHS started one drive any deeper than their own 40 when the Drillers punted or kicked off, you shorten the field for that group of athletes you are in for a long night. The RHS O & D line controlled the LOS the entire game, the O-line pushed the Drillers D off the line just about every time they ran the ball. I'm not sure if the Drillers played flat but the RHS OL beat them up. The defensive front didn't all the outside run game to ever really get going and I have don't think I remember a time when the Drillers DBs allowed guys to get behind them and be so wide open. RHS will cruise the rest of the season. The Mota kid is a legit D1 athlete, I haven't seen a kid run like that since Jason Oliver, that's not to say that the other guys are good athletes they are loaded the speed and size. I can't see them being challenged the rest of the year and not playing in December. As for the Drillers, its going to be a tough 5 weeks, they get a semi-bye next week against garces but after that its going to be a battle each week and each week the opponent gets better ending with Liberty. The lack of size on the defensive front really showed last night.
I now know how you felt izne when you watched CW becoming just one of the pack...

TeddyKGB

TeddyKGB

Quote from: TeddyKGB on September 28, 2015, 02:37:15 PM
mw, if BHS can not throw the ball better than they did early in the game against Salesian they will be in trouble. This week will be a battle.

as I suspected, the Drillers were not able to get the ball down field consistently and it allowed RHS to bring 9 guys into the box at times it looked like there was 10 in the box.

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on October 03, 2015, 07:40:12 AM
I now know how you felt izne when you watched CW becoming just one of the pack...

I never thought I'd live to see the day....

izne1home

BakoPhats

The best team in the valley come from Div II, Ridgeview.
Sit down and learn from the Master.

BakoPhats

Sit down and learn from the Master.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on October 03, 2015, 08:15:18 AM
I never thought I'd live to see the day....

izne unless there is some serious redistricting in the KHSD BHS is going to fade into mediocrity. 

TeddyKGB

hsfootballfan27

I've been following RHS football since 1997 from the days of every schools homecoming game and doormat beat downs.  Watched just about every game from 2001-present. To finally see them beat the drillers is by far the greatest win in school history to date.

hsfootballfan27

izne1home

Quote from: hsfootballfan27 on October 03, 2015, 11:11:56 AM
I've been following RHS football since 1997 from the days of every schools homecoming game and doormat beat downs.  Watched just about every game from 2001-present. To finally see them beat the drillers is by far the greatest win in school history to date.

At home too.  You not only beat the Driller, you overcame the PA announcer, the officiating crew, the harsh elements, and the Griffith demons. 

izne1home

TeddyKGB

the officials were pretty good, there was a series where the Drillers were called 2x for chop blocking while on defense, I'm not sure what was going on there. For the most part it was a good crew. You Clovis guys always over exaggerate, so the facilities are a skosh below extravagantly modern standards.  It was a great win for RHS. I wasn't happy to see them win but I can appreciate how far that program has come.

TeddyKGB

hsfootballfan27

Quote from: izne1home on October 03, 2015, 01:20:34 PM
At home too.  You not only beat the Driller, you overcame the PA announcer, the officiating crew, the harsh elements, and the Griffith demons. 

Most definitely from the dirt in the eyes to how slow the clock would move at times.lol

Quote from: TeddyKGB on October 03, 2015, 02:02:02 PM
the officials were pretty good, there was a series where the Drillers were called 2x for chop blocking while on defense, I'm not sure what was going on there. For the most part it was a good crew. You Clovis guys always over exaggerate, so the facilities are a skosh below extravagantly modern standards.  It was a great win for RHS. I wasn't happy to see them win but I can appreciate how far that program has come.

On the chop blocks my buddy was sitting next to me he noticed for about 4 plays in a row a driller d line man would hold up the rhs tackle and another driller player dove at him low. Then after the flags they stop. From his eyes that's what he saw he kept seeing it till the flags.

hsfootballfan27

TeddyKGB

I figured it was either a hi low on an engaged player or it was cutting the guy beyond the box.

TeddyKGB

mw1

Quote from: TeddyKGB on October 03, 2015, 07:40:12 AM
As for the Drillers, its going to be a tough 5 weeks, they get a semi-bye next week against garces but after that its going to be a battle each week and each week the opponent gets better ending with Liberty. The lack of size on the defensive front really showed last night.

After watching how Garces played St. Bonnie, you can't say that they haven't played a speed team - and I wouldn't exactly call next week a "semi-bye".  Garces has 4-5 legit play-makers... and are figuring things out.  If they can successfully match their play-makers with BHS' play-makers, it will not be a high scoring game.  I know that the GMHS people I spoke to felt like their 40-20 loss to Bonaventure was a win as far as they were concerned. 

This current BHS team has heart all day long... but, they lack size and talent.  They have a lot of good, high-school-level kids... without the next-level talent of prior years.  And.. don't even get me started on kicking, punting... oh brother!!

mw1

Bronco

Quote from: mw1 on October 04, 2015, 07:00:27 PM
After watching how Garces played St. Bonnie, you can't say that they haven't played a speed team - and I wouldn't exactly call next week a "semi-bye".  Garces has 4-5 legit play-makers... and are figuring things out.  If they can successfully match their play-makers with BHS' play-makers, it will not be a high scoring game.  I know that the GMHS people I spoke to felt like their 40-20 loss to Bonaventure was a win as far as they were concerned. 

This current BHS team has heart all day long... but, they lack size and talent.  They have a lot of good, high-school-level kids... without the next-level talent of prior years.  And.. don't even get me started on kicking, punting... oh brother!!
If they really think that a 20 point loss was a "win" then they are nothing to worry about - UNTIL they stop thinking that way

Bronco

mw1

Quote from: Bronco on October 04, 2015, 09:21:51 PM
  If they really think that a 20 point loss was a "win" then they are nothing to worry about - UNTIL they stop thinking that way

Let me clarify my comment:  I didn't say that the coaches or players think that way.  Some of the dads (GMHS people) I spoke to feel that way, however, because their team performed a lot better than they expected against a very-good football team.  If you look at the predictions on this website, everyone had a total blowout like 60 - 0, 70 - 0 type score... with a running clock for the 2nd half.  This upcoming BHS - Garces game is going to be going to be a great example of why you should never underestimate your opponent.  Yes, this team may not win another game the rest of the season... however, they DO have the potential to pull off an upset... if underestimated.  They DO have some athletes up there that can make big plays, and they do have a lot of good things to build on from last week's game.  I guess what I am saying is that there is a lot more hope on that side of the field this week than there was two weeks ago.

mw1

TeddyKGB

Quote from: mw1 on October 04, 2015, 07:00:27 PM

You are correct, the Drillers lack both size and talent this year. They do not have the break away speed that they have had in years past, after watching the DBs against RHS I can see where a team with good skilled guys will be trouble for the Drillers. The SWYL is up for grabs, I think this really is the year when anyone can beat anyone. Centennial and Liberty will match up well with BHS if they establish the pass. Frontier has a big line and if they establish the run they will hurt the Drillers. I haven't watched Stockdale but if they play as tough as they did against Clovis and Ridgeview they can beat the Drillers. I could not believe how bad the BHS kick off and punt units are.

TeddyKGB

mw1

Quote from: TeddyKGB on October 05, 2015, 08:31:34 AM
You are correct, the Drillers lack both size and talent this year. They do not have the break away speed that they have had in years past, after watching the DBs against RHS I can see where a team with good skilled guys will be trouble for the Drillers. The SWYL is up for grabs, I think this really is the year when anyone can beat anyone. Centennial and Liberty will match up well with BHS if they establish the pass. Frontier has a big line and if they establish the run they will hurt the Drillers. I haven't watched Stockdale but if they play as tough as they did against Clovis and Ridgeview they can beat the Drillers. I could not believe how bad the BHS kick off and punt units are.

So true!  This could be the best, most competitive league play that I can remember.  If I were to pick one right now, I actually think I would pick Frontier (based on how they played Ridgeview).  BHS-Centennial will be a battle.  I think BHS will take Stockdale, Liberty and Garces.  For Liberty to reassert themselves in this league, their QB will have to re-establish his running-game threat.  If he can come out of the bye week and be a true, dual-threat QB, then their future will look brighter.  With regards to the BHS special teams, I think they have been spoiled for a few years with the Olivas kid.. who was a serious punter/kicker who attended kicking camps, clinics, tournaments, etc..  They might need to hold open tryouts again for kicker/punter... you never know, there may be a lineman on that team that can punt it consistently at least 35 - 40 yards (which would be an improvement).

mw1

Darth Backer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on October 03, 2015, 03:21:18 PM
I figured it was either a hi low on an engaged player or it was cutting the guy beyond the box.

In California High School football a defensive player can not chop a blocker.  The exception being the short yardage play where it is his first move off of the snap.

Darth Backer

TeddyKGB

Another aspect of the offense that the Drillers had trouble with against RHS was the pass, had much to do with the Wolfpack's DL and DBs matching up well with the Drillers. They threw the ball well against Mountain Pointe but seem to have slide backwards.

TeddyKGB

BDF

The BHS offensive play calling these past few games have been horrible. The QB should have read RHS defense and changed the play, BHS will be in big trouble if their QB can't figure out what to do when another team stacks the box. RHS has some serious talent on their side! As for the BHS special teams their starting kicker is out for the season, fractured his pelvis, so they had to bring up the JV kicker (who is a soccer player) and the punter is Darrious Eaton. They need to think of another game plan with their special teams, the punting and kick-off gave RHS great field position.

2 starting lineman out, Schoene #78 possible broken toe and Colton #54 was out for the last 2 weeks with a collarbone issue. 5 other players are out and waiting to get cleared. Just one of those years BHS is hit by the injury bug.

BHS lost 3 players to RHS.
1 player is out for this year for disciplinary reasons.

This BHS team this year lacks leadership as well. Golla is doing a good job containing the "I" player, he just needs to find leadership. There is a serious problem with the Senior leadership.

The Juniors, sophomores and a few freshman for next year will be an entirely different team. For now, lets just get over these hurdles BHS is having to deal with right now.

BDF

TeddyKGB

The fact that they changed the offense from the veer/option to the fly tells me that the QB was not making consistent reads. Maybe he doesn't have the liberty to check out of plays. I still think a big issue is not having the threat of being able to throw the ball down field to keep the safeties honest. I know that Schoene as is the kid that transferred on from Tulare (concussion).

TeddyKGB

TeddyKGB

I don't want to sound argumentative but there is a reason why the kid is on JV and not varsity. I have to base my trust on Golla's past record and believe he knows what's for the program. There has to be a reason why he's not being used, and I'd think its because he couldn't get the job done during spring/summer.

TeddyKGB

mw1

Quote from: BDF on October 05, 2015, 12:39:41 PM
2 starting lineman out, Schoene #78 possible broken toe and Colton #54 was out for the last 2 weeks with a collarbone issue. 5 other players are out and waiting to get cleared. Just one of those years BHS is hit by the injury bug.

BHS lost 3 players to RHS.
1 player is out for this year for disciplinary reasons.

Wow!  Those are some significant losses... Schoene is a major one.  I may need to spend a little more time thinking this one through before posting my SWYL prediction comment.

mw1

TeddyKGB

The have been plagued with some injuries, Schoene didn't play the entire 2nd half.

TeddyKGB

flexmac3

Quote from: hsfootballfan27 on October 03, 2015, 11:11:56 AM
Sorry, I forgot to post this days ago. So here goes...

I think you are still in the clouds :D
Great win for Ridgeview, but this is not the greatest win in Ridgeview history. Im going to guess you are saying greatest D1 victory.

Let just say, the Wolf Pack can scratch this win vs BHS off their bucket list.

IMO, Ridgeview is really a D1 school in a lower division, so its really not a surprised that Ridgeview can beat D1 schools, Its been like that for years.

I can think of several games way more important than beating Bakersfield high school.

Winning valley championship games always trumps a great win vs any school Ridgeview might play in a non league game.

flexmac3

Glenn

Quote from: Darth Backer on October 05, 2015, 10:15:03 AM
In California High School football a defensive player can not chop a blocker.  The exception being the short yardage play where it is his first move off of the snap.

i have saw this Happen in NFl and College Football  already the
Rule  is if your LG Is Block  him and your FB  go at the legs   that Illegal Chop Block Pentliy 

Last weekend   i saw a NFL game   a Players went to QB Legs  their Flag that   

i tho if you Went for QB Head  that Penlity  But Really you HIt QB Legs you going be flasg for that   
NFL Officals  will take the game away to be fun 

Before we all  know  it  it be NFL Flag football  and Flag College football  and High school  Flag  Football  in few Year

i can Understand not Hit anybody Head  in a football  game   it can really Mess up their brain  or someone else Brain

that why Like a Player  Last weekend  his got Good Hit    the training Have the Appeal  Bench him    the RB was so mad  By 4th qtr  his was clear to Play 

i tho you Make that Decison  and  Hit  in the head ring his bell  you conmplete  out that game  ?
2015 CSL Champs  and 
2017 VC Runner up
2018  CSL Co Champs 
2018   State champs Runner up 

Send 2013  we be to Division Valley Playoff    

Ethel Ann Grimes Woodall
May 30 ,1938  to  April 27,2010

Glenn

2015 CSL Champs  and 
2017 VC Runner up
2018  CSL Co Champs 
2018   State champs Runner up