News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Strange by-product of the current playoff system

Started by Darth Backer, April 19, 2024, 02:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kilmer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on May 02, 2024, 01:28:33 PMwhat constitutes an A or B school?

I've been looking for further details on that exact question. The post came last night.

Again, I think it will be subjective decision making unfortunately. Strength of League needs to be a factor imo.

My 2 cents: Based off last years base division placement

All D 1&2 Schools from last years base divisions should be labeled as "A schools". That's 27 teams (correct me if I'm wrong). We need to get back to under .500 can't go to playoffs and fill the brackets up.
All D 3&4 are your "B and C" schools
All D 5&6 are your "lower C and D (because we have six divisions)"

I'm sure there are flaws to this, but what we have now sucks and CIF needs to put some parameters that allow for consequences to a S**t Season

izne1home

Quote from: Bud Kilmer on May 02, 2024, 02:05:07 PMWe need to get back to under .500 can't go to playoffs and fill the brackets up.

CIF needs to put some parameters that allow for consequences to a S**t Season

Bud Kilmer for President!

TeddyKGB

I agree with Bud but when in the history of the CIF has the CIF done anything that makes sense? The reality is parents, coaches, kids and school admin want to be able to say that their kids/team when to the playoffs and won a "championship" even if that is a D4 or 5.

Lancelot

First and second place team per conference make playoffs, this makes league games important.
the teams that don't qualify are scheduled a bowl game.   
John McKay on being interviewed about his teams execution after a bad loss. " I'm all for it"

Bud Kilmer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on May 06, 2024, 09:28:19 AMI agree with Bud but when in the history of the CIF has the CIF done anything that makes sense? The reality is parents, coaches, kids and school admin want to be able to say that their kids/team when to the playoffs and won a "championship" even if that is a D4 or 5.

Bingo.. and if you look at major campuses across the nation, you'll see the result of this farce.

Cristobal

Quote from: Lancelot on May 06, 2024, 09:53:59 AMFirst and second place team per conference make playoffs, this makes league games important.

I thinks this could work, in College the reason it fails is the no one cares about the result but this gives parents and kids a chance to go out "on top". Gives booster and parents the opportunity to put their fingers prints all over it which is what they truly want. Plenty of time for look at me moments for all involved. Us old heads can ignore it and act like the games do not even exists or squeeze in one more tailgate. Win, win!

Darth Backer

Quote from: Lancelot on May 06, 2024, 09:53:59 AMFirst and second place team per conference make playoffs, this makes league games important.

This is the root of our problem. Once leagues began to have teams from multiple divisions, this is when our issues started.

Bronco

Then don't have teams from different levels in the same conference  - make all conferences be  made of the same division & make the divisions up BEFORE the season - not after. 

DonnieBaker1962

The general rule used to be... If a team wins valley a couple years in a row they get bumped up. If a team never makes playoffs and or never wins playoff games they get dropped down. This system rewarded well run programs. The only teams the benefit from the current disaster is the underperformers.

Darth Backer

Quote from: Bronco on May 06, 2024, 08:32:11 PMThen don't have teams from different levels in the same conference  - make all conferences be  made of the same division & make the divisions up BEFORE the season - not after. 

There's a lot of long-standing week 10 rival games that have teams from seperate divisions... not the primary issue but part of it. There's also a proximity component when building most leagues.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: DonnieBaker1962 on May 07, 2024, 06:25:36 AMThe general rule used to be... If a team wins valley a couple years in a row they get bumped up.

I never understood this its seems like: you're doing too good lets put you up so someone else has a chance to win.

Bud Kilmer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on May 07, 2024, 08:39:07 AMI never understood this its seems like: you're doing too good lets put you up so someone else has a chance to win.

Agreed. Punish good teams for being good and rewarding bad teams by watering down their competition.

DonnieBaker1962

Quote from: Bud Kilmer on May 08, 2024, 07:55:43 AMAgreed. Punish good teams for being good and rewarding bad teams by watering down their competition.

Yes, but at least in that system it allowed teams to win a couple titles. Now if they do well they just bump them up to get smoked.

Bud Kilmer

The simple fix is to stop letting teams drop a division. Brackets are botched because mediocre schools/administrators feel entitled to playoffs so they fight to go down a division because they can't win it all. If you don't fit into the playoff picture in your division well better luck next year.

Again, this is never going to happen, but sure would be nice.

RayRea

They also need to boost win totals to make the playoffs.  I think you only need to win 3 games to be eligible for the playoffs.  I think at the minimum it should be 5.   Very similar to college where you have to win 6 games to be bowl eligible.   This would help eliminate a good percentage of the teams that fill out the bottom of most of the brackets. 
"You have to be careful of people who like to talk a big game but can't back it up." – Ray Lewis

TeddyKGB

I think a minimum of 5 is generous, but I can see a team scheduling a grueling nonleague schedule that does deserve to be in the playoffs. I would say a minimum of .600 or 2nd place in their league.

Darth Backer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on May 08, 2024, 11:42:02 AMI think a minimum of 5 is generous, but I can see a team scheduling a grueling nonleague schedule that does deserve to be in the playoffs. I would say a minimum of .600 or 2nd place in their league.

League placement doesn't make any sense...

Bud Kilmer

To all three points, if you stop schools from dropping divisions, you'll naturally fill up each division bracket with the best teams. A full bracket is 16 teams. Typically, there are and should be 16 teams in each division that is .500 or better (Divisions 1-4 at least).

CWClassof2007

According to the CIF website here's how many schools there are in each section:

Central 101
Oakland 20
Central Coast 143
Sac-Joaquin 198
LA City 128
San Diego 124
North Coast 169
San Francisco 15
Northern 70
Southern 556

Why does the Central Section have 6 divisions in football when the Central Coast & San Diego have 5? The Sac-Joaquin & North Coast have 7 which seems like a lot for them too.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on May 13, 2024, 05:08:41 PMWhy does the Central Section have 6 divisions in football when the Central Coast & San Diego have 5? The Sac-Joaquin & North Coast have 7 which seems like a lot for them too.

Does the CIF allow each section to determine how many divisions they will have? Because from what CWclass is saying it seems that there is no rhyme or reason for the number of Divisions per section

TeddyKGB